Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Biography Picture Books Response

Maym Salomon American Patriot
by: Susan Goldman Rubin

I liked some things about this book and I didn't like others. I really enjoyed the pictures in this book. They were a little childish but the information in this book made up for it. All the information was accurate and very informative. With that being said, I know this book was supposed to be about Haym Salomon but it was basically a list of information and was a bit overwhelming. I think this book would be great for middle schoolers. This is a person that they might not have even heard of before and it would be really great for them to learn about a new figure in history. It is a very informative picture book but could be presented in a more exciting format. I do not think I would use this in my classroom but some teachers might want to.




Ben Franklin His Wit and Wisdom from A-Z
by: Alan Schroeder

This was an interesting format for a book. The book was organized by letter and each letter listed facts about Ben Franklin and his life all starting with that letter. Each letter had a different number of words associated with it. This would be very useful in the classroom because you could go through it with the class letter by letter. The teacher could share one letter each day. The pictures are really beautiful as well. I think this book has so much information but is also appealing and interesting. This would be a great book to use when learning about Franklin or even in a science or physics class learning about electricity. I am happy I picked this book up and would absolutely use it in my classroom.





1 comment:

  1. These are some interesting choices that both have visual appeal. It is interesting to me that the first one isn't very well written, though. That is too bad. I thought the cover was nice and inviting, but the text has to pay off that promise. The second book, on the other hand, sounds excellent. Did you have any comments on the article?

    ReplyDelete