Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Reese Article Response

This was a very interesting article. I cannot help but agree with Reese in that Native Americans are misrepresented in Children's novels today. It was interesting she brought up the question of if students are actually gaining useful and accurate information from novels or pictures books depicting Native Americans. This is such a hard topic to think about as a future teacher because I do not want to add to this misrepresentation. I am luckily not teaching any history classes hopefully in the future so I do not have to worry as much but if I choose to use a novel with historic value such as ones about Native Americas I need to be careful. This article really made me think about the fact that many of those novels are inaccurate and teachers really need to be careful. The article also had me thinking about Americans in general and their knowledge of Native Americans. It was interesting to see that there were studies that told that people believe that Native Americans are an extinct group. Most Americans think that there are no longer Native Americans at all. That is something that really makes me upset. People are that unaware of groups of people that surround them everyday. This article really opened my eyes to the books that have historical content that I use in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment