Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Code Named Verity Response

I died over this book. I had so many different emotions while reading it that I almost felt sick when I had to put it down. One of the things I value most in my life is friendship, and specifically that of my female friends. There is nothing better than having that person you know you can trust with anything and will love you no matter what happens. It just killed me to read about such a beautiful friendship because that is something so close to my heart. I loved how the two girls were so seemingly different yet had such a strong connection. This book has so much emotion but also so much factual information. This would be a great tool to use in a classroom obviously talking about Germany or the Nazi torture happening during this time. It would also be so useful to talk about the also little know French-resistance fighters. I could see this as a more interesting and less painful alternative to some of the novels I remembered reading about the Nazis although I do think those aspects are important to learn about and experience through reading. I also feel this book might be more appealing to people my age rather than young adults. I could not imagine myself reading this in the middle grades and understanding it or appreciating it. I would just have to test it out and see how well it worked with my particular kids before I could say if I would use it or not. But again, I am obsessed with this book, I might even read it again over the break next week!


 

1 comment:

  1. It was great to talk to you in class about this book and I loved your enthusiasm for it. You really do learn a lot about the time period from reading this one, and the story turns out to be brilliant (although it also confused me a lot at times!)

    ReplyDelete