Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Reactions to Wonder by R.J. Palacio

I fell in love with August and his story. This book helped me understand, to a whole new level, what any person that may look different might feel like on a daily basis. My hands down favorite feature of the novel was the way it was split up into sections for different characters. I loved hearing the same parts of the story from different points of view. This really shaped and enhanced the novel for me because you feel like you know the entire story and how all characters saw it. I loved hearing their thoughts and knowing more about what really happened in situations. I really loved hearing all the nice things that Jack says about Auggie during his section of the book. August assumes the worst about Jack when he sees him trying to be cool in front of the other boys in his class and the reader is then able to see the true meaning behind the way Jack was acting.

I also really loved the quotes at the start of each character's section. They fit perfectly with either that character's personality or the situation they were currently in. They are such beautiful quotes and I really loved the way the author did that. 

This book was touching and would be such a great novel to use in the classroom. It really teaches kids about friendship and being kind to all people no matter how different they might be. It also shows kids that although someone may look different on the outside they are a person on the inside that might be just like you. I would most deficiently use this novel in my classroom. I was also trying to think of a reason this book might be banned and I can not think of a single reason. This beautiful story does have sections that might be difficult to read because kids can be so mean but other than that there are not any moments in the book that I feel students would not benefit from being exposed to. I am so happy we were assigned this book for class because it touched my heart.


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you shared so many of my feelings about this book. I feel so strongly about it that I was almost afraid to assign it, in case everyone else didn't like it! Thankfully, it seems that most people shared my affection for this book and the characters. I also loved the quotes at the start of the sections. I see so many quotes these days and using them to capture the spirit of a character is a great way to respond to literature.

    ReplyDelete